Stephen Gran on 23 Oct 2005 10:28:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian upgrade hell: udev and kernel 2.6.12

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 07:04:31PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> Doing a dist-upgrade, I ran into problems that udev wants to be
> installed but needs kernel 2.6.12.  I'm running 2.6.8.  There are two
> bugs already filed against udev for not depending on 2.6.12 even
> though it won't install without it.
>
> No problem, say I: I'll just upgrade to 2.6.12.  But here start my
> troubles: I can't upgrade to 2.6.12 because udev is pending
> installation.  But I can't uninstall udev because too much depends on
> it.  (I'd have to uninstall all of gnome, apparently, and that's just
> what meets the eye right away.  And it won't uninstall anyway because
> udev isn't installed.)

'gnome' and 'gnome-desktop-environment' are meta packages, and don't
actually affect the actual binary packages of gnome.

>     gnome: Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 64) but it is not going to be installed
                                                 ^^^^^

That's your clue that it's a virtual package (although apt-cache show
will confirm it) - gnome itself is mostly at version 2.10.x, but the
meta package that just exists to drag in the rest of the bits is only
version 64.

The thing in gnome that depends on udev is hal, depeneded on by
gnome-volume-manager.  If you don't care about that functionality, you
can safely remove udev.  Running apt-get -f install with no other
arguments probably won't work in this situation, since udev breaks in
the postinstall script, not in the depends (which is what the force
dependency resolver is for).  Probably just remove udev, hal,
gnome-volume-manager, gnome, and gnome-desktop-environment and move on.

Lesson learned - Marco D'Itri can be an ass, and there are not really
any measures in place to make a Debian Developer play nice with others
when they maintain core packages.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Someday you'll get your big chance --   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | or have you already had it?             |