Jeff Abrahamson on 23 Oct 2005 12:22:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian upgrade hell: udev and kernel 2.6.12

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 11:28:17AM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> The thing in gnome that depends on udev is hal, depeneded on by
> gnome-volume-manager.  If you don't care about that functionality,
> you can safely remove udev.  Running apt-get -f install with no
> other arguments probably won't work in this situation, since udev
> breaks in the postinstall script, not in the depends (which is what
> the force dependency resolver is for).  Probably just remove udev,
> hal, gnome-volume-manager, gnome, and gnome-desktop-environment and
> move on.

Thanks.  Alas, even that doesn't work:

  astra:/home/jeff# apt-get -f remove udev hal gnome-volume-manager gnome-desktop-environment
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    gnome: Depends: gnome-desktop-environment (= 64) but it is not going to be installed
  E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
  astra:/home/jeff#

I'm going to try mucking with the udev install script and dpkg as per
Sean's suggestions.  It's become clear that this isn't going to go
away by waiting, and I'm slowly finding other things that are broken
because of the half-installed state of things.

I hope my machine at least reboots when the time comes... ;-)

> Lesson learned - Marco D'Itri can be an ass, and there are not
> really any measures in place to make a Debian Developer play nice
> with others when they maintain core packages.

Yeah, Debian has a social contract but no civil contract. ;-)

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287