Jeff Abrahamson on 24 Oct 2005 02:40:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian upgrade hell: udev and kernel 2.6.12

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 08:23:45AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I'm going to try mucking with the udev install script and dpkg as per
> Sean's suggestions.  It's become clear that this isn't going to go
> away by waiting, and I'm slowly finding other things that are broken
> because of the half-installed state of things.
>
> I hope my machine at least reboots when the time comes... ;-)

I'm just sending this to create a record of how this resolved, since
this was very non-obvious to me as it developed.

I used "apt-cache show" to learn the location of the kernel-image
2.6.12 package.  Then dpkg -i installed it.  Then I rebooted.  I was
very happy to see the system come up again.  At that point apt -f
install was able to finish fixing things.

Many thanks to Steve and Sean for help and pointers.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287