Doug Crompton on 24 Oct 2005 14:38:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] wrt54g driving me nuts.

I have done all this a thousand times but I am not clear on what you are
saying. You say take it off the network and connect it using a crossover
to a laptop. What am I connecting to? LAN or WAN? It is my understanding
that by default it only serves it's web page on the LAN ports. Why would I
use a crossover cable to connect to LAN pots? The reset (default) mode of
the box is gateway and auto dhcp.

I have hard reset the box many times and tried to come in on the LAN to
the boxes http to no avail. I can connect no problem to it via wireless.

I think I should take this box back. It turns out it is rev2 and has Jan
04 firmware. It looks like there have been a bunch of updates since then.
If I buy another one I will be more aware of that.

As an example the CD docs talk about being able to turn off NAT. There is
no selection for that in the actual SW. I do think I need to turn off NAT
when I am using it as a downstream access point. I already have a gateway
front-end box with NAT.

Doug

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Toby DiPasquale wrote:

> Take the WRT54G off the network and plug it into a machine (laptop is good
> for this) with a crossover. Now hit the interface and on the Setup->Basic
> Setup page, select "Automatic Connection - DHCP" in the Internet
> Connection Type select box. Now go to the Setup->Advanced Routing page and
> select "Gateway" from the Operating Mode select box. Save the settings
> after each of the above steps and it should be good to plug back into your
> switch and start using as an access point. Chances are, you're having
> problems because its currently in "Router" mode.
>
> NOTE: The above requires you to be running DHCP on your network; if you are
> not; in the Setup->Basic Setup page set it to "Static IP" instead of DHCP
> and set the appropriate fields alight with information.
>
> Toby DiPasquale

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *