Lee Marzke on 24 Oct 2005 18:56:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] wrt54g driving me nuts.

Doug,

Don't give up, I've got a half dozen of these WRT-54G and GS units installed in an
free outdoor public WiFi system at Brandywine Airport in West Chester.
http://n99.com/wifi/

I've had very little problems with them, and would highly recommend them.
I replace the firmware inside with 3rd party software from http://sveasoft.com/
( Alchemy-1.0 ) which has many more features than the stock firmware from
Linksys, including setting Xmit power, management over SSH, QoS.
( The stock firmware is Linux and Open Source )

I assume that you can't get the login page of the device from the LAN port.

If you connect a normal cable from the LAN port to a PC.  Then set the
PC to have a static IP 192.168.1.10.  You should be able to get the
WRT's page at http://192.168.1.1

You can also set the computer to DHCP, and let the WRT issues an IP,
which normally would be 192.l68.1.100 over it's LAN port.  Then
connect the browser as above.

Check your IP with "ipconfig"  or "ipconfig /all "   from a DOS prompt .

You can't just goto http://192.168.1.1 without resetting the IP of the computer ( unless
your computer is already using a 192.168.1.x address ) This is what causes
most people problems.

Lee Marzke <lee@marzke.net>

Doug Crompton wrote:
I have done all this a thousand times but I am not clear on what you are
saying. You say take it off the network and connect it using a crossover
to a laptop. What am I connecting to? LAN or WAN? It is my understanding
that by default it only serves it's web page on the LAN ports. Why would I
use a crossover cable to connect to LAN pots? The reset (default) mode of
the box is gateway and auto dhcp.

I have hard reset the box many times and tried to come in on the LAN to
the boxes http to no avail. I can connect no problem to it via wireless.

I think I should take this box back. It turns out it is rev2 and has Jan
04 firmware. It looks like there have been a bunch of updates since then.
If I buy another one I will be more aware of that.

As an example the CD docs talk about being able to turn off NAT. There is
no selection for that in the actual SW. I do think I need to turn off NAT
when I am using it as a downstream access point. I already have a gateway
front-end box with NAT.

Doug