sean finney on 24 Oct 2005 16:31:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian conflicts

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 11:59:04AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why libmyspell3c2 and libmyspell3 should conflict
> with each other?  In particular, some apps want one, this causes the
> other to want to be uninstalled.  But if I were maintaining my machine
> without package management, I'd be happy to leave them both installed
> as long as both were needed.  This is what versioning is for.

i believe it is because of an incompatible ABI change in the
libsdtc++ libraries upon which the versions of this package is built.
while both packages might be able to exist side-by side wrt eachother
using versioning[1], they are built against conflicting ABI's which thus
can not live happily together.

> This has come up because several apps were removed in a recent
> dist-upgrade and all of them appear to come down to library versioning
> issues like this.

most of them are in fact the exact same versioning issue.  unstable is
in the middle of a big set of transitions right now, though most
of the worst (kde et al) is over.  as a general rule, when dist-upgrade
to testing/unstable wants to do lots of stuff, be wary :)

	sean

[1] which is generally an encouraged practice for shared library
    packagers, and many upstream authors now do directly because
    debian developers have showed them how/why