Jeff Abrahamson on 24 Oct 2005 15:58:06 -0000

[PLUG] debian conflicts

I'm running debian testing.

Can anyone tell me why libmyspell3c2 and libmyspell3 should conflict
with each other?  In particular, some apps want one, this causes the
other to want to be uninstalled.  But if I were maintaining my machine
without package management, I'd be happy to leave them both installed
as long as both were needed.  This is what versioning is for.

This has come up because several apps were removed in a recent
dist-upgrade and all of them appear to come down to library versioning
issues like this.

I'm trying to figure out how best to file bug reports, although mostly
I've just filed them against top level packages with a note that I
suspect the problem is further down.

Tia.

--
 Jeff