jazzman on 25 Oct 2005 22:05:10 -0000

[PLUG] PCMCIA Issues in Multiple Distros

This is a continuation of my "Current linux on older laptop" thread from
last week... I tried everything I could and finally got debian installed
from a CD... lo and behold the pcmcia network cards still did not work. I
then tried installing RH9 on it, and lo and behold the pcmcia network
cards didn't work there either. I tried the cards in other machines and
they're fine. So I finally tried getting everything running with win98 to
see if it was a serious hardware issue... Win98, with a few updated
drivers, works perfectly on the laptop. RH9 refused to load the socket
services module, and Debian loads the modules, can tell there's a card in
there, and if I tell it what kind of card and THEN insert the card the
debian installer even sees that kind of card. If I do ifconfig I only see
the loopback. If I do ifconfig -a I see eth0, but that's about all I can
do with it. Attempting to actually assign an IP address, use DHCP, etc all
fails. Looking in /var/log/syslog I see the following lines:

PCI: Enabling device 01:00.0 (0000 -> 0003)
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 01:00.0.
PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 01:00.0.
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 01:00.0 to 64
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0x4000, 00:40:05:87:b9:f1, IRQ 0
eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'

Which strikes me as odd since the system is configured to have the card
slots give out IRQs 7 and 9 or something like that. They're both enabled
and given valid IRQs. If I boot with pci=biosirq as someone suggested to
me I get the same thing.

Then about a minute later in the log I see a lot of this:

cardmgr[3981]: could not adjust resource: IO ports 0x100-0x4ff: Device or
resource busy

That repeats twice for 0x100-0x4ff, twice 0x800-0x8ff, and twice for
0xc00-0xcff. Then a bunch of "Could not adjust resource: memory [fill in
address here]: Input/output error" messages and the addresses filled in
addresses are 0xc0000-0xfffff, 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff,
0x60000000-0x60ffffff. Then the cardmgr reports:

watching 2 sockets
socket0: CardBus hotplug device

After that it tries to dhcp the card and I get the following log entries:

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:40:05:87:b9:f6
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:40:05:87:b9:f6
Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
send_packet: Network is down
receive_packet failed on eth0: Network is down

The last 2 lines repeat a few times and then it craps out and gives a
network configuration error in the installer.

Like I said, the cards work fine in Win98 but linux just refuses to play
nice. As a review the hardware is:

IBM Thinkpad 760ED laptop
DLink DFE-690TXD pcmcia card
 or
Socket EA Credit Card adapter (REAL old school card)

I'm not real savvy on hardware specifics like this, so any help is
appreciated.
Thanks
Marc