Doug Crompton on 28 Oct 2005 04:30:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Samba <> XP not talking

Ok fixed after much playing around..... I uninstalled norton, turned off
firewall and still nothing. What was happening was I could log in and be
accepted at the Linux machine and see the shared directories but when I
tried to open a directory it again asked me for a username/PW which was
strange and when I entered the correct one it did nothing. If I had
entered a bad username and/or PW at this point it would give me an error.
So it was seeing the names.

The fix turned out to be that I had put another username besides the one I
normally use in my smbuser file called 'test'. I am not sure why I put it
in there but in looking in the logs it said that 'test' had no passwd
entry which was true. I simply commented the username 'test' restarted
smbd and it worked!

The strange thing is that win2k had no complaints about this and has
worked for months but XP did.

Another strange one.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *