George A. Theall on 31 Oct 2005 13:34:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Wireless nic recommendations

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 08:01:58AM -0500, William G. Zappasodi wrote:

>     I installed Suse 9.3 pro on a Dell inspiron 4000.  Can anyone
> recommend a wireless pcmcia for it?

I've been very happy with this:
http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_39&products_id=226 It's
a high-powered, OEM'd SENAO card.  Never had any trouble using it with
hostap under a 2.6.x kernel from Gentoo.

Btw, most vendors don't bother mentioning Linux support for their
wireless cards and often seem to switch completely what chipsets they
use, which makes it hard to purchase these things for anything other
than Windows.  Every time I've looked, though, Netgate's product
listings explicitly state what kind of drivers the cards need under
Linux.

George
--
theall@tifaware.com