Stephen Gran on 2 Nov 2005 00:19:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Editing System V init

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 06:11:09PM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> By default, my distro tries to run an ntp update script before it
> initializes ppp.  The documentation on the distro web site shows you how
> to disable the ntp init script, but I don't want to do that.  I want to
> edit the startup so that it runs _after_ ppp is initialized.
>
> I installed the webmin init module, but need to read about the runlevel
> and 'start at' and 'stop at' settings before I make any changes.  Google
> hasn't helped me find documentation.  Can anyone recommend a place?

Without knowing more about what your distro is, I invite you,
semi-facetiously, to investigate the lovely command 'mv'.  The beauty of
a simple
mv /etc/rc2.d/S23ntp /etc/rc2.d/S53ntp
beats all of webmin, for me.

On a more serious note, if you know what your distros default run level
is, just push the ntp start link to something slightly later than the
ppp start link.  That is the simplest solution.

The way it works, roughly (and totally solution dependant, but most
linux distros do it this way these days) is that the kernel boots, and
at some point hands thing off to init.  init runs all of the scripts
that start with S in the rcS.d directory, and then switches to the
'default' run level - what that default is is completely distribution
dependant, although I think Redhat-alikes all use 5.

Then init runs all scripts in rc5.d directory that begin with an S with
the start argument (and really, it should also run all scripts that begin
with a K with the stop argument, but many don't).  The only real things
to know about the hacked SysV init that most linux distros use is that

a) scripts whose names start with S should get run with the start
   argument
b) scripts whose names start with K should get run with the stop
   argument
c) All scripts in a directory are run in numerical order
d) At boot, S is first, then default run level.

That's the basics for managing it.
|  Stephen Gran                  | "Plaese porrf raed."   -- Prof. Michael |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | O'Longhlin, S.U.N.Y. Purchase           |