Greg Lopp on 2 Nov 2005 03:33:05 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Strange position

Ctrl-Alt-+ and Ctrl-Alt-- should tell your Xserver to cycle through the various screen display modes that are available in your config file (XF86Config or xorg.conf) Hopefully one of those will be stable enough for you to fire off a configurator of some kind to edit the config.....unless you want to edit it by hand like we did in the old days.

I used this trick this morning to find something usable on a very old monitor and Gnoppix.

Eric Lucas wrote:

I find myself in a strange position.

My monitor went "pffftt!" earlier today so I broke down and bought a
19" flat panel (TFT-LCD) and it's really beautiful... under WINDOWS!

When I boot SuSE 9.3 it shows me the brief Grub info (after I select
what to boot) and then I get the little floating "Not Optimum Mode -
1280x1024 60 HZ Recommended". Well, too bad for me since I cannot
get the darn thing to stop switching into whatever mode it is that
gives me this error. I've tried booting with "vga=791", "fb=1024x768",
"splash=0", etc. without success. I've commented the entire
/etc/fb.config file except for 640x480 @ 60 hz without success.

I've also ran YAST from SSH and invoked SaX2 - no joy just a long "hang"
time before I finally hit ctrl-c.

It appears that even when running in runlevel 3 and looking at Virtual
Consoles the video is too darn fast.

Any suggestions as to how I slow this mother down long enough to get
it properly configured?  Something like: fb=1024x768@60 would be nice
but that's useless like the others :-(

TIA

Eric