Stephen Gran on 2 Nov 2005 11:31:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Editing System V init

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 08:42:38PM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 06:11:09PM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> >
> >>By default, my distro tries to run an ntp update script before it
> >>initializes ppp.  The documentation on the distro web site shows you how
> >>to disable the ntp init script, but I don't want to do that.  I want to
> >>edit the startup so that it runs _after_ ppp is initialized.
> >>
> >>I installed the webmin init module, but need to read about the runlevel
> >>and 'start at' and 'stop at' settings before I make any changes.  Google
> >>hasn't helped me find documentation.  Can anyone recommend a place?
> >
> >The way it works, roughly (and totally solution dependant, but most
> >linux distros do it this way these days) is that the kernel boots, and
> >at some point hands thing off to init.  init runs all of the scripts
> >that start with S in the rcS.d directory, and then switches to the
> >'default' run level - what that default is is completely distribution
> >dependant, although I think Redhat-alikes all use 5.
> >
> >Then init runs all scripts in rc5.d directory that begin with an S with
> >the start argument (and really, it should also run all scripts that begin
> >with a K with the stop argument, but many don't).  The only real things
> >to know about the hacked SysV init that most linux distros use is that
> >
> >a) scripts whose names start with S should get run with the start
> >   argument
> >b) scripts whose names start with K should get run with the stop
> >   argument
> >c) All scripts in a directory are run in numerical order
> >d) At boot, S is first, then default run level.
> >
> >That's the basics for managing it.
> >
> That is what is complicated.  The ntpdate script in in rcS.d and the ppp
> script is in rc2d through rc5.d.  I fear putting ppp in rcS.d is a bit
> too radical and may lead to unintended consequences.
>
> BTW, I am running Kubuntu 5.04 (hoary) which is Debian based.  The only
> documentation it points to is chapter 9 of the Debian Policy Manual.

Ah, I see the problem.  You are using pppoe or something, and pppd
starts too late for ntpdate, so boot up takes forever.

So, the simple answer is
mv /etc/rcS.d/S51ntpdate /etc/rc2.d/S51ntpdate

The more complicated answer is to run ppp from ifupdown, so it starts
earlier in the boot process.  That takes a little finagling, though, and
I don't remember all the details off hand.  Basically, you would create
a stanza in /etc/network/interfaces for ppp0 that tells ifupdown it's a
ppp interface - man interfaces should have all the details of how to do
so.  I think (from memory - please check first) that you just want:

auto ppp0
iface ppp0 inet ppp
    provider verizon # or whatever you have in /etc/ppp/peers

And that should do it.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | After the last of 16 mounting screws    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | has been removed from an access cover,  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | it will be discovered that the wrong    |
|                                | access cover has been removed.          |