Chris Marget on 2 Nov 2005 15:02:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Editing System V init

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Stephen Gran wrote:

> So, if after booting into run level 3, you then change to
> run level 5, scripts in rcS are not rerun - only the kill scripts in rc3
> and the start scripts in rc5.

According to my reading of /etc/rc.d/rc (Fedora) and my memory of
/etc/rc[S0123456] (Solaris), that's not exactly right.

When you enter a new runlevel the scripts that get run are all from the
new runlevel, first the K scripts, then the S scripts.

Nothing from the previous runlevel (rc3 in your example) is run.

/chris