Stephen Gran on 9 Nov 2005 10:24:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: comcast smtp forwarding

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 12:51:06AM -0500, Tom Diehl said:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 tek@undergroundinfection.net wrote:
>
> > I recently got my qmail server up and running with a squirell frontend and
> > noticed I'm getting the following in my logs:
> >
> > 1    0.58  Connected to 216.148.227.126 but sender was rejected./Remote
> > host said:
> > 550-68.42.28.147 blocked by blacklist.mail.ops.asp.att.net./550 Comcast.net
> > subscribers are no longer permitted to directly connect to this mail
> > server. To send email to other Comcast.net subscribers, you may forward
> > messages through smtp.comcast.net/
>
> Hummmmm, this is interesting. Are you a Comcast customer or are you trying
> to send mail to a Comcast customer? Your ip address seems to indicate you
> are a Comcast customer. I am curious because I get the same error on
> a mail server that is on the end of a T1 trying to send to any Comcast.net
> address. Interestingly enough blacklist.mail.ops.asp.att.net does not
> resolve from outside of Comcast. Before someone asks, the machine is on a static
> ip and it is not on any of the black lists I can find. The weird thing
> about this is I can telnet to port 25 of all of Comcast's published mx's
> and none of them have the above banner. I suspect that this is an internal
> machine not accessible to the public but I cannot prove it.

I wzs under the impression that the above meant that you were being
blocked by an internal RBL.  I think that adding their own address space
to the RBL is just a way to force their customers to use the outbound
mail server, rather than the MX records.
|  Stephen Gran                  | BOFH excuse #451:  astropneumatic       |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | oscillations in the water-cooling       |