Lee Marzke on 21 Nov 2005 17:20:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] inexpensive wireless bridge (without using a PC)

So you have a DLINK running as a normal Wireless Access Point  / Router
with a WAN connection.

And you have a WAP you really want to use "backwords" as a routed client.
If the WAP doesn't have a config option to run as a Client instead of an
AP I'm not sure this will work. Plus you have to get the routing all correctly
configured. ( Since your wired and Wireless are on different networks, you
need the client running in router mode - not bridge mode )

You might look into the Sveasoft "Freya" replacement software for the WAP
to see if they support a routed client mode.

I'm using a WRT-54G AP,  with a 2nd WRT-54G running Sveasoft
Talisman-Basic as a client just as you describe above.

In this case even the "client" mode wouldn't quite work, but WDS "LAN"
mode running on both allows the 2nd radio to be a bridged client.   WDS
probably won't work with the DLINK, however.

Sveasoft is now starting to support many of the Linux based radios from
Linksys, Belkin, Buffalotech,  and Asus  with the Talisman build.

Lee Marzke

George Gallen wrote:
OK. WAP54G Arrived, but doesn't seem to want to do what I want it to do...(which maybe the problem).
It seems to be an older firmware (it's not the current cicso/linksys model).
I have my wireless network setup and working (192.168.0.x) - D-Link WRT, a PC and a laptop and most importantly, my internet connection on the WAN
I have a wired network setup as well (192.168.1.x) - same laptop, another PC and the WAP54G
What I'm having difficulty with is allowing the PC on the WAP54G to access the internet on the D-LINK WRT,
I tried settup up the WAP as a bridge, giving the D-LINK MAC, but I don't think it works (because it's not
a linksys WRT, and it doesn't want to play....but it doesn't give me any errors either).
I noticed on the front, the wireless activity light blinks a lot, like it's picking up activity. How would I setup my
network on the PC, use the WAP's IP as the gateway address for the PC?
Does anyone know if a Linksys WAP really won't talk to a non-linksys? does it go by MAC MFG code?
I can always make my DLINK masquade with a Linksys MAC, that I didn't try, (but will tonite).
George
Aside from buying something new...I'd like to try to get this to work. I really only want to use it to give this
one PC wireless access. It's running FC4, buy my problem is I have no USB ports to use for access.