Lee Marzke on 22 Nov 2005 19:32:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] inexpensive wireless bridge (without using a PC)

George,

If you want to bridge two Ethernet segments together, the only thing I know
that works ( and it's not trivial ) is to use 2 WRT-54G's running in WDS
mode with Sveasoft Alchemy or Talisman-Basic software.  ( Or use a
dedicated commercial bridge )

Even Sveasoft's client mode doesn't really work,  and they tell you to
use WDS instead for this ( which likely requires Sveasoft running on
both ends,  so DLINK is out of the picture. )

WDS-lan mode will pass DHCP requests through to the gateway's
network as well as VPN traffic.

This is all working at http://n99.com/wifi   where I feed several
remote building wired LAN's located 1000's of feet away from
the main AP.    It could be possible another way,  but I got enough
gray hair from just from this getting this published solution working.

Suggestions:
1st try Sveasoft Freya on your WAP,  to the existing DLINK.
( If your WAP hardware version is supported, be careful, Freya is
old so it may not support the latest HW versions.)

Lee

   the back is hooked directly to a PC. That PC uses DHCP for IP assignment
   (although for testing, I can always hardcode the address).

My problem is what do I set as the gateway address for the WAP, I tried leaving it
   blank, but it wouldn't allow that. Do I use the 192.168.0.1 (router address),
   and the gateway address for the PC, would that be the IP of the WAP? but DHCP
   would normally set that, so I'm not sure.

Is it possible for the DHCP request from the PC to sent to the Dlink router
   for an IP assignment?

Or should I just give up with this, and shell out for a WEP (which might have
   the same problem of not playing nice with a non-linksys).

George