Michael C. Toren on 6 Dec 2005 19:41:54 -0000

[PLUG] administrivia: schedule; free stuff for review; slides

A few notes regarding our upcoming schedule:

    - Tomorrow evening, Mark Jason Dominus will be speaking in his annual
      December timeslot, this year on the topic of "History of Classic
      Unix Security Holes".  Mark is our only recurring speaker, and this
      will be his forth year presenting.  Following his presentation, Mark
      will be signing copies of his new book, _Higher-Order Perl_.

    - In January, Tom Limoncelli will be presenting on the topic of Time
      Management for System Administrators, related to his new O'Reilly
      book of the same name.

    - No speaker has been scheduled for February.

    - In March, Lee Marzke will be presenting an Introduction to Asterisk
      IP-PBX and Asterisk at Home.

    - In April, James Blackwell from Canonical will be speaking on The
      Bazaar-NG Revision Control System, and has also offered to answer
      questions related to Ubuntu.

    - In May, Thomas Boutell will be speaking on Integrated Exchange
      and Postfix Scenarios, related to his new book _Windows and Linux
      Integration: Hands-on Solutions for a Mixed Environment_,
      co-authored with Jeremy Moskowitz.  Jeremy may end up giving his
      own talk in June, or perhaps take the pen February spot.

If you would like to give an hour-long presentation on a Linux or
Unix related topic, please either contact me privately, or post your
presentation topic idea to the PLUG list for discussion.

Slides from Paul J. Morris's talk last month, "Position mapping with
Linux, xastir, and amateur radio for Search and Rescue", can be found
at <http://www.phillylinux.org/slides/aprs-20051003/>.

I'll have a few free items to give away tomorrow evening:

Prentice Hall as kind enough to provide us with a copy of _Apache Derby--
Off to the Races: Includes Details of IBM Cloudscape_, by Paul Zikopoulos,
George Baklarz, and Dan Scott.  More information about the book can be
found at <http://tinyurl.com/e29q2>.  If you're interested in reading and
reviewing this book, please contact me privately.  I'll be selecting
someone based on a combination of who is able to make it to the meeting
tomorrow night to pick it up, and who is available to write a review to
be posted on the mailing list and phillylinux.org website.

I also have a demo unit from Realm Systems of their BlackDog Product, a
new platform for open-source development, more information on which is
available at <http://www.projectblackdog.com/>.  In short, it's a tiny
Debian server with a built-in biometric reader that connects to a host
computer via USB.  It presents itself as a USB network device, over which
X applications may be remotely displayed.  For use with Windows systems,
an X server is included on the BlackDog and automatically launched with
autoplay.  I'm anticipating multiple people will be interested in the
BlackDog; if that's the case, we'll probably end up selecting someone at
random at tomorrow's meeting.  I would ask that individuals only submit
their name if they plan on developing an application for the BlackDog,
and individuals who then plan on writing a review.

Realm Systems also asked me to mention their BlackDog Skills Contest
offering prizes in five categories, included a $50,000 grand prize for the
best application created or ported to run on a BlackDog.  However, please
note that the contest rules state that in order to enter a BlackDog must
be purchased, and therefore the demo unit may not be used for entry.
More information on the contest can be found at
<http://www.projectblackdog.com/rules.html>.

Lastly, while Free Software Magazine (<www.freesoftwaremagazine.com>)
recently stopped publishing a paper copy of their periodical, they
continue to publish in an electronic format to which PLUG has received
a complimentary subscription.  If PLUG members are interested in
downloading a copy, please contact me privately.

Thanks,
-mct

--
perl -e'$u="\4\5\6";sub H{8*($_[1]%79)+($_[0]%8)}sub G{vec$u,H(@_),1}sub S{vec