Jeff Abrahamson on 8 Dec 2005 18:18:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Music and Linux: Call for presentations (July PLUG meeting, perhaps)

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:46:09AM -0500, CJ Fearnley wrote:
>   [28 lines, 173 words, 1297 characters]  Top characters: en_tiosa
>
> At the meeting last night, we had a generous offer from Floyd to
> present on Rosegarden (An integrated MIDI sequencer and musical
> notation editor) on Linux.  But the audience wasn't enthusiastic
> enough.  I did sense that the audience was interested in Music and
> Linux.
>
> So, assuming Floyd is interested in presenting on Rosegarden in
> July, and assuming two or three other people agree to give
> presentations on aspects of Linux and Music, I think it would be
> great to arrange this for July.  Any dissenters?
>
> Any volunteers?

I gave a bad example last night of what would interest me, since it
was easy to dismiss as available in common sound mixing apps.  In
matlab (not free), for example, you can import a sound, do a fourier
transform on it, knock out or add some frequencies, and reverse
transform.  Why?  I dunno.  I saw it used once for de-noising a
sound.  It was cool.  I'd like to be able to do it with free software.

Professionally, I have some interest in doing pattern recognition on
music.  The above sort of machination would be a first step.

If I figure out something that I can do with free software, I'd be
happy to volunteer to present it.  In the mean time, I just wanted to
clarify some of what I was thinking.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287