Doug Crompton on 9 Dec 2005 07:13:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SUSE 10 Sound Problem...

What specifically should I be doing? In KDE control panel the only options
are sound file associations and hardware... for hardware I have
autodetect selected.

The real problem is in the initial configuration of the board. If I go
into yast>hardware>sound  after boot, it finds the card but says it is not
configured. If I configure it, it gives an error and the speakers thump.
If I enter sound again it says configured. At this point the sound works.

On next reboot I have to do this all over again.

lsmod shows a bunch of sound modules loaded.

Should I be looking at dmseg immediatly after the configure error?

Doug

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, CorvusE wrote:

> On Thursday 08 December 2005 11:20 am, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > Ok since I did not get any response I am an updating this. I did manage to
> > get sound but it seems I have to run alsaconf at each boot, then go into
> > kmix and turn on digital output and set levels. Yes I am using digital
> > speakers. So my hardware works but how do I get it to boot and work? In
> > perusing google it seems that there is much trouble with alsa sound in
> > linux but no one seems to have a definitive answer.
>
> Talk to me about your Sound System settings in the Control Center, if you
> would.  It sounds to me like artsd and alsa aren't playing nicely.
> --

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *