Art Alexion on 9 Dec 2005 15:41:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] lm_sensors and fan speed

bergman@merctech.com wrote:

>In the message dated: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 10:17:30 EST,
>The pithy ruminations from Art Alexion on
><Re: [PLUG] lm_sensors and fan speed> were:
>

>=> Cosmin Nicolaescu wrote:
>=>
>=> >On Thu, December 8, 2005 9:29 am, Art Alexion wrote:
>=> >
>=> >
>=> >>I set up lm_sensors with a display in the KDE panel, everything seems
>=> >>fine, except the fan occasionally slows down for a few seconds.  No
>=> >>noise.  Should I be concerned?  Temp remains constant at safe levels.  I
>
>Without lm_sensors, are you aware that the fan is slowing down (ie., does the
>noise or air movement change significantly)?

No.  I've had fans on power supplies go before and the noise is
unmistakable.

>I ask because many power supplies
>and fans are variable-speed, and automatically change their speed as needed to
>maintain a reasonable temperature.
>
>=> >>have the side off the tower which should help with temp.
>
>Are you absolutely certain that this really helps? Well designed,
>properly configured, modern systems often have better air flow and run cooler
>if the case is closed, as the manufacturer intended.

Actually, that isn't *why* I left the side off.  Rather, I was futzing
with the CR-RW, and never bothered to put it back on.  I just assumed
that my laziness might have a payoff. :-[

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c