sandy on 10 Dec 2005 03:54:46 -0000

[PLUG] System reboots automatically in the middle of a program

 Problem:
    A linux system crashes and automatically reboots itself.

    While testing a new afio backup,  my system started crashing intermittently.
    I ran a script to successively run the afio backup. The system would crash
    after 1 to 10 repeats.
    I had to physically restart the system.

    Then the system started dying and rebooting itself.
    Finally, my Seagate barracuda  SCSI hard driver could not be fixed
    by e2fsck.

    I tested the drive with my SCSI controller and with the 2 set floppy disk
    test retrieved from a Seagate WWW site.
    The barracuda appeared to be OK.

    I finally had someone reset the boards for me. They noticed that
    the power supply plug to the barracuda looked funny and replaced it with
    an extra power supply plug.

    My computer ran the afio backup 100 times without a failure.

   I had looked on the internet for this problem. Many people posted
   a similar spontaneous reboot, but I saw no solutions.
   sandy