Doug Crompton on 12 Dec 2005 15:18:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Xine-hd

Ok I was able to get it to work - kinda - after much fooling around. The
latest xine library - 1.1 - compiles fine in gcc4 but the hd-ui needed
some work. I was able to find a fix. One of the modules needed some
massaging.

The result was rather dissapointing. I was not able to get the xine dvb to
work. It complains about a plugin and/or the channel file. In reading it
seems this part may not be complete. I was able to manually set the
channel with the utils and record the mpg to disk. Playback of the file
with xine worked. The results were not that great. While the quality was
good it lost frames and eventually complained of that fact. I am using a
2Gh P4, 512K RAM. The xine-check did not complain of anything. I see they
recommend 16bpp instead of 32bpp for the display. I did not try that.

I want to try mplayer but I don't currently have that on the system. I
think that HD reuires the absolute latest in processor and video cards to
work well. What do they have in my one year old Samsung DirectTV box? It
boots Linux and receives HD. I guess dedicated HW and truely optimized SW.

While it is a challenge to do this I would have to say that Linux is
really not quite there yet for HD unless you are a Linux massochist.

Doug

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Stephen Gran wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 09:51:40PM -0500, Doug Crompton said:
> > Somewhat answering my own question...
> >
> > FC4 shipped with GCC4 which the developers decided to make "-w pendantic"
> > warnings now be errors. It's a PITA because it now breaks a lot of code
> > over some semantic interpretation of being ANSI standard code. I don't
> > know the best solution other than to go back to an earlier version of gcc.
> >
> > So what is the answer. I suppose there is no compiler  switch to fix this?
>
> Not exactly.  Most of the -w switches can be disabled with a no- prefix,
> so you may be able to do something like --no-pedantic, but I doubt
> that'll help.  As you noted, the compiler itself is much more picky
> these days.
>
> Does Fedora not ship other version of gcc?
> --
>  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |  Stephen Gran                  | Matrimony is the root of all evil.      |
> |  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |
> |  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                         |

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *