sean finney on 12 Dec 2005 22:52:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] gcc versions

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 04:36:58PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> This issue with gcc compatibility brings up a question. What are the
> implications of having multiple gcc compilers on the same system? How
> would one go about doing that? My current system has gcc4. What prior
> version of gcc3 should I install?

depends on your distribution, and how you install it.  on debian,
for example, you have different gcc's installed as

/usr/bin/gcc-$version

and /usr/bin/gcc is a symlink usually pointing at the latest
version.  there's also a /usr/bin/cc, which is a symlink into
the alternatives system (thus the admin can control what 'cc'
invokes).   currently in debian sid there's a 2.95, 3.3, 3.4, and 4.0
version out there.  i have 3.3 and 4.0 on my laptop... i don't have
much to say about 3.x, but i've found 4.x to be slow and occasionally
buggy--which is why i guess i have two versions laying around.
but that's just me.

anyway, regardless of whether you install a distro's package or
something in /usr/local/gcc-foo, you can get most autotools packages
to happily use your version of gcc simply by doing something like

CC=/path/to/cc ./configure --prefix....

for other software packages, you might have to manually edit makefiles,
or make sure that your gcc comes first in PATH.

	sean