Art Clemons on 13 Dec 2005 01:30:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] gcc versions

> This issue with gcc compatibility brings up a question. What are the
> implications of having multiple gcc compilers on the same system? How
> would one go about doing that? My current system has gcc4. What prior
> version of gcc3 should I install?

gcc 4.x is not supposed to be incredibly stable, it's also apparently
running into issues like "internal compiler error".

When compiling something like for example the alsa modules, you have to
use the same compiler used to compile the kernel you're using or strange
things can happen.  I've switched to gcc 3.4.4 and haven't had major
issues using it.
I'ld suggest recompiling your kernel if you're switching compilers, it
seems to prevent a lot of problems.