Jon Nelson on 19 Dec 2005 17:40:45 -0000

[PLUG] initrd/udev hell

Using:

Debian sarge
CPU: AMD k6
FS: reiser

I installed a new kernel (2.6.12-1-k7) via aptitude, which told me to
purge hotplug and install udev.  After doing that the new kernel wont
boot.  The last thing I see on the screen is:

    savedefault
    boot

Then the system reboots.  My formerly working kernel (2.4.26-k6) no longer
boots because of a kernel panic from a lack of /dev I suppose.

I believe that there is an issue with the initrd image, but I am not sure
how to fix it or if it is possible.

TIA,

Jon