sean finney on 19 Dec 2005 19:16:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] initrd/udev hell

hey jon,

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:39:53PM -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:
> I installed a new kernel (2.6.12-1-k7) via aptitude, which told me to
> purge hotplug and install udev.  After doing that the new kernel wont
> boot.  The last thing I see on the screen is:

so that's from testing?  from my own experience, udev is something
that you really need to be on the bleeding edge of because bugs are
still being shaken out of it.  also, do you recall what was used
to build your initrd?  specifically, do you recall "yaird" being
pulled in with your new kernel?  i heard about a particularly
nasty yaird bug leaving people unbootable because the core ide
drivers weren't being included in the initrd.

> I believe that there is an issue with the initrd image, but I am not sure
> how to fix it or if it is possible.

i think your best bet is to boot into some kind of live cd: any
installer cd will probably work, knoppix and the like are even
better.  from there you can mount all your fs's, chroot into them
and perform whatever maintainance/repair is necessary, such as
downgrading/upgrading kernel and other packages.

if you are using yaird, i can dig up a report for the bug i mentioned
which has the fix listed in it, but otherwise i can't provide too much
help on fixing your initrd without doing all the research myself :)

hth
	sean