Doug Crompton on 13 Jan 2006 19:15:44 -0000

[PLUG] RPM builder

In reading the January LJ I saw an article on declutering your messy /home
by using  'checkinstall' or 'kinstaller' to turn  your cluttered source
folders into single rpm's.

I have a question for which I think there may be no definitive
answer...but here goes.... When you build an RPM on a particuliar system
where can it safetly be installed? Certainly on the same system... but
what if you upgraded the kernel on that system? or installed it on another
'like' system that had been configured in a different way? Are there any
rules on this? Can you damage a system by installing a 'wrong' rpm or are
there safety checks for this?

Doug