Christopher M. Jones on 14 Jan 2006 17:56:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BIOS EDD -- new install hangs

OK, the problem seems to really be with ACPI. With any of the distros I
try, the problems are almost the same:

With the Mandriva 2006, install works fine. But when I reboot I have to
use the option acpi=off to get past the wake items. This gets me as far
as the interactive startup message, where it hangs.

Ubuntu breezy: when I boot the install cd I have to use acpi=off. When
it reboots with acpi=off the boot hangs as it is trying to set the
system clock by the hardware clock. Without acpi=off it boots, but it is
excruciatingly slow.

The only distro I've tried that gave me anything like a successful
installation was Mandrake 10.1.