Dan Widyono on 15 Jan 2006 14:07:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] unable to login at console

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:18:13PM -0500, Dan Crosta wrote:
> Greg Helledy wrote:
> >This morning I went to login (using the machine's monitor and keyboard,
> >as I've changed hardware) and could not--when I type a username (root,
> >admin) and hit enter I just get another "login:" prompt.

What do your login logs say with regard to the failed logins?

I can't imagine the hardware being the issue since as you say, you do get
feedback while typing on the keyboard.  On the other hand, you "just moved
the hard drive", so I can't imagine the OS being the issue either.  Bit rot
might explain a bad config file as suggested by Dan.

Redhat also uses /etc/pam.d/ssh to differentiate from /etc/pam.d/login.

Other files to check for bit rot would be /etc/security/access.conf (a PAM
issue) as well as /etc/security/console.perms.

Did you try from another virtual terminal as well?  I've had instances where
one mingetty process (default virt term on Redhat) went silent while the
others continued to work just fine.

Actually, now that I think about it, are you sure the keyboard is working?
It certainly _could_ be a faulty keyboard (enter key works while some others
-- which happen to be part of your username -- don't) given just the facts
you presented to us.

Regards,
Dan W.