Stephen Gran on 19 Jan 2006 23:24:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Debian and X config

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:11:30PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I'm trying to configure X on a Debian testing box with a new monitor.
> I've tried xdebconfigurator, but it wants detect which I can't figure
> out how to install.
>
>     $ apt-file -i search bin/detect
>     $
>
> Meanwhile, xf86config is supposed to be in xbase-clients according to
> apt-file, but dpkg -L says no.  And xf86setup doesn't exist at all,
> says apt-file.
>
> Anyone know how this is supposed to work in the Debian world these
> days?  Or what I'm doing wrong?

X --configure > XF86Config.test

is usually my first bet these days.  You can also use
get-edid | parse-edid
from the read-edid package (I may have swapped get-edid and read-edid, I
can never remember which is the binary and which is the package, but
apt-cache search will tell you whatever I've mixed up).

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | "We'll look into it":  By the time the  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | wheels make a full turn, we  assume you |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | will have forgotten about it, too.      |