Michael C. Toren on 20 Jan 2006 16:42:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] procmail and matching on split lines

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:31:58AM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I didn't realize subject lines could contain hard breaks.  I'm not
> sure how to match this without matching anything containing "post" and
> "requires".  Indeed, an even longer email address could push
> "requires" to the next line, and I'm not clear how to match that.

Are you sure that this has actually presented a problem in practice,
or are you anticipating that it may be a problem in the future?  The
procmail man page states in the BUGS section:

    The embedded newlines in a continued header should be skipped
    when matching instead of being treated as a single space as
    they are now.

And in the MISCELLANEOUS section:

    To make `egrepping' of headers more consistent, procmail
    concatenates all continued header fields; but only internally.
    When delivering the mail, line breaks will appear as before.

-mct