Stephen Gran on 27 Jan 2006 10:48:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ubuntu package imake / md5hash error

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:43:25PM -0500, Christopher M. Jones said:
> I've been having a problem with imake on my ubuntu dapper system. For
> the past month or so imake remains unconfigured. The message is:
>
> Setting up imake (1.0.1-0ubuntu1) ...
> dpkg: error processing imake (--configure):
>  failed in buffer_read(fd): md5hash: Input/output error
>
> I've googled it, and I get nothing. Moreover, after a round of this
> hdparm reports all drive settings unset (dma is off, multi is off, etc.)
> Anybody got a clue what's going on here?

It sounds like a failing hard drive to me.

dpkg is reporting an error running imake's configure script.  The error
is an I/O error while trying to read from a file descriptor, it looks
like.  And shortly after, hdparm tells you you have oddness in your
disk.

Check syslog for lines that look like issues with your hard disk.

Good luck,
|  Stephen Gran                  | No two persons ever read the same book. |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | -- Edmund Wilson                        |