Stephen Gran on 4 Feb 2006 01:16:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian and debug symbols (-nostrip)

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:04:31PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> By default debian installs apps and libraries with symbols and other
> debug info stripped.  I'm sure this saves a miniscule bit of disk
> space and load time, but is there a good reason for this as a default?

Yes, several, but they are the usual boring space-saving and
optimization arguments that you are familiar with already.  Most
packages ship a -dbg package that contains the stripped debugging
symbols for exactly the reasons yuo are outlining, though, so when you
have a particular application crash, the debug symbols are usually an
apt-get away.  Not all by any means, but due to some recent package
building toolchain feature additions, it has just become trivial to do
so, so expect more and more packages to do this.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Every nonzero finite dimensional inner  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | product space has an orthonormal basis. |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | It makes sense, when you don't think    |
|                                | about it.                               |