Jeff Abrahamson on 4 Feb 2006 00:03:41 -0000

[PLUG] debian and debug symbols (-nostrip)

By default debian installs apps and libraries with symbols and other
debug info stripped.  I'm sure this saves a miniscule bit of disk
space and load time, but is there a good reason for this as a default?

Optimization appears to be one issue:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html

Is there a way to change this default in debian?  (I suspect not.)
When apps crash, I'd like to be able to submit proper bug reports.
When it's my app, I'd like to be able to see more easily why my
library call caused a crash.

I'm not the first to wish this, I suppose:

    http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/200510.html.en#2005-Oct-4

<soapbox>

    Leaving debug symbols on in the Mars Pathfinder software rescued
    that mission on the ground on Mars.  A highly worthwhile read, if
    you haven't seen it, and not just because it ends by recounting a
    standing ovation to some theoretical computer scientists.

    http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/19.49.html#subj1.1

</soapbox>

--
 Jeff