Malcolm J Harwood on 6 Feb 2006 16:41:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian and debug symbols (-nostrip)

On Friday 03 February 2006 07:04 pm, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> By default debian installs apps and libraries with symbols and other
> debug info stripped.  I'm sure this saves a miniscule bit of disk
> space and load time, but is there a good reason for this as a default?

Yes, that "minuscule bit of disc space" is generally around a factor of ten[1]
(slightly more with C++, less with plain C). That makes a significant
difference to disc space, memory and load times for the vast majority of
people that don't need them.

[1] based on personal experience, not details research.

--
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three
elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.