Stephen Gran on 4 Feb 2006 12:58:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian and debug symbols (-nostrip)

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:41:08PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I don't suppose it's also become trivial to specify that I'd like
> dependency resolution preferentially to cause installation of the -dbg
> versions? ;-)

You might be able to hack up an apt-preferences stanza to do that,
actually, but it seems like some doing.  I realize I didn't explain the
way it's being done clearly enough earlier, though (the consequence of
emailing late at night, I suppose), so I'll give it another stab.  The
-dbg packages actaully contain nothing but the bits strip pulls off of
the binaries and libraries - it is just a bunch of detached debug
symbols with no real functionality of their own.  gdb knows to look for
them under /usr/lib/debug, so if you have a crash in /usr/bin/foo, that
uses /usr/lib/foo.so and /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6, will pick up all
the right bits from the detached symbols and give you a reasonable
backtrace without touching the original libraries or binary.

Clever, really, I think.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Heavier than air flying machines are    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | impossible.   -- Lord Kelvin,           |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | President, Royal Society, c. 1895       |