Art Alexion on 2 Feb 2006 19:28:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Personal Financial software

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

>1. Launch time is horribly slow.

Hasn't been a problem with my older machine, but then again, maybe I am
used to slow ;-)

>2. Gnucash does not save as it goes, writing instead a log file of
>   what has happened.  This is not what I would expect of such an app,
>   but fine.  If gnucash dies unexpectedly (typically due to power
>   failure, gc itself was very stable), the log is not replayable.  So
>   remembering to save was critical.  This feels very 1980's to me.
>   Actually, emacs has known how to replay it's autosave even since
>   the 1980's...

I am surprised that this (not saving as you go) is true with GnuCash and
kMyMoney as well.  That was what I was used to with Quickbooks.  In fact
Quickbooks keeps an audit trail by default, so if you change a
transaction, that is saved as a change and can be tracked. (You can turn
this off if you are using it yourself, but nice to have if employees are
using your Quickbooks.)

In trying to import my kMyMoney data into GnuCash, I found the the
import submenu has a replay log file option.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c