Jeff Abrahamson on 2 Feb 2006 02:20:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Personal Financial software

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 09:10:50AM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
>   [27 lines, 108 words, 904 characters]  Top characters: _enrioa\n
>
> I am having trouble finding something suitable to run under Linux.
>
>     * GnuCash - clunky interface; much too powerful and business
>       oriented for my personal needs
>     * kMyMoney2 - very nice interface, but very, very poor support for
>       budgeting, bill tracking/accounts payable, and custom reporting.
>
> Anything else to recommend?
>
> Has anyone tried running Quicken under wine or Crossover Office?

Although it sounds like this has been well resolved, let me add a
note, as I used gnucash 1.4 through 1.8 for several years for personal
finances.  The double entry system was easy enough to figure out and
meshed well with my anal retentive habits.  My two issues were the
following:

1. Launch time is horribly slow.

2. Gnucash does not save as it goes, writing instead a log file of
   what has happened.  This is not what I would expect of such an app,
   but fine.  If gnucash dies unexpectedly (typically due to power
   failure, gc itself was very stable), the log is not replayable.  So
   remembering to save was critical.  This feels very 1980's to me.
   Actually, emacs has known how to replay it's autosave even since
   the 1980's...

I should add why I no longer use gnucash.  I realized that the only
reason I needed accounting software was for tax reporting.  I imagined
it would be nice to run all sorts of queries on my personal finances
to help me visualize my spending, but I am sufficiently frugal that I
finally chose not to waste my time determining how I was failing to
waste my money.

I now use a spreadsheet that has columns for those items I wish to
track for taxes.  I determined that the time I spent balancing my
checkbook was not worth to me the opportunity cost of leaving some
extra money in the account to buffer against overdraft.  (The bank
rarely made errors.  I, on the other hand, did make record keeping
errors, so my time was spent correcting my own errors, errors I can
longer make.)

Thus, my endorsement of gnucash is nearly without reservation.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287