Jeff Abrahamson on 7 Feb 2006 01:55:43 -0000

[PLUG] asterisk and 802.11 phone

Apparently some phones are coming on the market that can do VOIP
natively and will preferentially switch to an 802.11 connection if
they can find one.  For example, the Nokia 770 is reputed to have this
feature in a release this summer.

    http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/770

Has anyone here played with such things or researched it?  Any
suggestions?

My motivation (besides cool factor) is that I could drop by cell
service to a pretty minimal service plan if all my home and work calls
were able to go out on 802.11.

Something tells me that this would rapidly become much more
complicated than it is worth, but I'm curious.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287