John Von Essen on 9 Feb 2006 01:45:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dpkg help needed

apt-get works sometimes. But when you start installing alot of stuff it begins to break down. I manage about 35 debian systems (all > 2 yrs old), and I would say 10 of them have developed apt-get issues. Not sure if the problem lies in the apt get system, or how developers make the pkgs for apt get.

As for FreeBSD ports, I rarely have issues, and if you do have an issue, the ports subsystem explains exactly what you have to do to resolve the issue. i.e. I have never had ports go bananas on me and just stop working.

I also like the fact that ports forces the build on your platform, which in some ways avoids some issues if the port were a precompiled pkg. Also, ports will observe your gcc CFLAGS, I always use -O2 -pipe -march=pentium4. Ports also lets you pass ./configure options prior to the build. So apt-get apache may not be compiled with a certain module. With the apache in FreeBSD ports system, I use the same port but pass an additional --enable-modname parameter.

-John