Stephen Gran on 9 Feb 2006 12:49:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dpkg help needed

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:45:17PM -0500, John Von Essen said:
> apt-get works sometimes. But when you start installing alot of stuff it
> begins to break down. I manage about 35 debian systems (all > 2 yrs
> old), and I would say 10 of them have developed apt-get issues. Not
> sure if the problem lies in the apt get system, or how developers make
> the pkgs for apt get.

I have to say, I'm managing > 60 Debian machines, most installed in
potato or slink days, and none of them have these issues.  I have to say
I have never seen the behavior you're talking about, except when people
treat Debian like RedHat, and start grabbing random .debs from some
random repository.  apt and dpkg are good, but they can't compensate for
poorly packaged debs.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Laughter is the closest distance        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | between two people.   -- Victor Borge   |