sean finney on 9 Feb 2006 13:22:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dpkg help needed

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:49:19PM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> I have to say, I'm managing > 60 Debian machines, most installed in
> potato or slink days, and none of them have these issues.  I have to say
> I have never seen the behavior you're talking about, except when people
> treat Debian like RedHat, and start grabbing random .debs from some
> random repository.  apt and dpkg are good, but they can't compensate for
> poorly packaged debs.

or poorly administered systems...  i'll echo dan's recommendation
to pick up a copy of The Debian System.  it does much to
explain not just the hows but the whys which is a very interesting
approach not often found in similar literature.  I have a copy myself,
and i can vouch for its quality.  you'll even find my name
buried somewhere deep in the list of acknowledgements :)

	sean