Eric Hidle on 10 Feb 2006 16:33:18 -0000

[PLUG] Rolling your own distro

So, I'm trying to roll my own distribution. I used Puppy as a starting point, and picked up the initrd-util script to build initial ramdisk images.

What I did initially was change the kernel on the boot device, in this case a USB Flash drive, from 2.4 to 2.6, and use the initrd-util to unpack the stock image.gz, add the 2.6 modules, gzipped -r the modules directory, and repack the image.gz.

On the old image.gz with the 2.4 kernel, everything worked great as expected. On the new kernel, it starts booting the kernel, and eventually panics out after a much of "attempt to access beyond the end of the device" and other ext2 errors. The final error is something along the lines of "can't find init, goodbye!"

The boot loader is syslinux, the pen drive is formatted FAT, the image.gz is formatted ext2, and the 2.6.11 kernel is the stock FC4 kernel.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Eric