Fred Stluka on 12 Feb 2006 00:52:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Seeking Webmail Program Suggestions

Nathan,

I've been using Netscape mail clients for years, and am recently using
Thunderbird, which is the e-mail client of Mozilla Firefox, the latest
in the Netscape code base.  Features:

- Does all the standard mail client stuff (send, reply, forward,
 attachments, fonts, sorting, threading, undo, goto next/prev unread,
 etc.)

- Pulls from any number of POP3 and/or IMAP servers.

- Great support for RSS and Atom, making your feeds look like just
 another POP3 or IMAP server.

- Great support for Usenet news feeds.

- Keyboard shortcuts for everything.  My favorite as I reach the age
 where tiny fonts are starting to look too tiny at 1600x1200 on my
 15-inch laptop screen:  Ctrl Plus/Minus to make fonts bigger/smaller.
 Just hit it a couple times to notch the fonts up to a readable size,
 or down to see more text on the screen at a time.

- Manages the mail in standard mbox format, so you can massage/edit/
 search/manipulate it with any text editor if necessary.  Or can
 access the same set of messages via any other mbox-type mail client
 on Unix, Windows, etc.

- Great support for mail filters, allowing you to delete, file, copy
 etc. any message based on combinations of a wide variety of rules,
 including my favorite:  "If the sender is in my address book".  Now
 it is trivial to use your address book as a whitelist, moving all
 other mail into a "Likely to be spam" folder.

- The filters are also stored as just plain text, so you can manage
 them with text tools.  For example, I often search the rules file to
 see if any of my hundreds of rules refer to a certain person or
 domain name, or word, or whatever.

- Address book exportable to standard LDIF text format, so I can
 compare it before doing backups, to make sure I didn't accidentally
 drag/drop wrong or make any other mistakes with my nearly a thousand
 contacts.

- Address book imprtable/exportable from a variety of formats.  I
 haven't had to manually re-enter an address in over a decade as I
 moved through various mail clients.

- User preferences stored as text.

- Each mail folder is a mbox-type file in the file system.

- Nested folders are regular folders in the file system.

- A binary index file is kept for each folder, but if you delete it,
 it gets recreated automatically very quickly.

- No problems with large mail files. Some of my folders are 80MB
files on the file system.

- Very fast.  I can search the full text of the bodies of the nearly
 10,000 messages in that 80MB file for a word in a couple seconds.

- Very efficient.  10,000 messages in 80MB mans 8MB per message.

- Lots of options for security, privacy, style, layout, etc.

I recently had to start using Microsoft Outlook at a corporate client
and have gotten to learn its embarassingly small set of features.  I
didn't realize that people still used such limited e-mail programs.

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- "Glad to be of service!"

Nathan Schlehlein wrote:

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on good webmail programs.

I am currently a user of Squirrelmail (with qmail and Courier), and have
been for a few years.

Recently, however, my customers have seen other webmail programs such as
Exchange's webmail, Atmail, and others, and are wondering when they will
see some nice bells and whistles on their webmail program.

In addition, Squirrelmail (At least for my install...  Might be doing
something wrong...) seems to like to choke on huge mail boxes, thereby
making it about as useful as a pogo stick in quicksand.

So!  My question is...  What kind of webmail programs are y'all using?
Any favorable / unfavorable experiences?

Anyone ever try roundcube?  http://www.roundcube.net/

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Nathan Schlehlein