Walt Mankowski on 22 Feb 2006 13:11:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Forbidding a version of a package in debian

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:09:05AM +0000, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:06:15PM -0500, Walt Mankowski said:
> > I'm running debian testing.  I ran "aptitude dist-upgrade" yesterday
> > and it wants to install buggy version of libfreetype6 that will break
> > my window manager.  I'd like to put that on hold until things get
> > sorted out.  I read through the aptitude man page and this looked like
> > the proper way to do it:
> >
> >   aptitude forbid-version libfreetype6=2.1.10-1
> >
> > When I run "aptitude show libfreetype6" it says that version is
> > forbidden:
> >
> >   Forbidden version: 2.1.10-1
> >
> > but dist-upgrade still wants to install it.
> >
> > Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
>
> I note that the manpage says that dist-upgrade is more likely to do
> unwanted things than upgrade.  Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Hmm, I'll have to try that.

> That being said, what about 2.1.10 is going to break on you?  It is
> actually the right version for all apps but gnustep, as far as I know -
> gnustep will need a rebuild shortly, and freetype upstream will need to
> learn about proper soname handling some day, but I thought the situation
> was mostly under control?

Well, the discussion about the bug at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=314385 scared me,
particularly since I use windowmaker as my window manager.  I'm in the
middle of a bunch of projects and afford to deal with it breaking just
now.

Walt