Mike Ciul on 25 Feb 2006 17:40:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BIOS EDD -- new install hangs

Here's the current settings for Power management in the BIOS:

ACPI function		Disabled
Power Management	User Define
PM control by APM	No
Video Off Method	Blank Screen
Video Off After		NA
Modem Use IRQ		3
Doze Mode		Disabled
Standby Mode		Disabled
Susend Mode		Disabled
HDD Pwer Down		Disabled
Suspend Mode Option	PowerOn Suspend
Throttle Duty Cycle	75%
PCI/VGA Act. Monitor	Disabled
Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN	Instant-Off
IRQ 8 Break Suspend	Disabled
Power On by Ring	Disabled
Power On by LAN		Disabled
Resume by Alarm		Disabled

** Reload Global Timer Events **
IRQ3-7,9-15],NMI	Disabled
Primary IDE 0		Disabled
Primary IDE 1		Disabled
Secondary IDE 0		Disabled
Secondary IDE 1		Disabled
Floppy Disk		Disabled
Serial Port		Disabled
Parallel Port		Disabled

I disabled everything that could be disabled, and guessed at the rest of
the settings. Any suggestions?

I couldn't figure out how to control power management in Ubuntu. It's
still running with acpi=off. When I have my little CPU-hog running,
the screen will blank after a couple minutes of no input, but it
comes back as soon as I wiggle the mouse. I can't find any GUI controls
for power management and I haven't learned how to do it from the
command line.

Thanks for everybody's help. Let me know if there are more things I can
try!

- Mikee

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, morgan wrote:

> Mike,
>
> When I first read your message I thought to respond but got sidetracked.
> Have you completely disabled power saving the bios?  I've seen this sort
> of hang when the system is idle due to kernel not properly groking
> (grokking?) the power management.
>
> -morgan
>

> Mike Ciul wrote:
> > I discovered something interesting.
> >
> > If I do something like this:
> >
> > perl -e '@f = <>; while (1) { sort @f; }' < /var/log/syslog
> >
> > ...the system does not freeze. As long as I can keep the processor tied up,
> > it keeps going. What could it be doing during idle time that causes it
> > to freeze?
> >
> > - Mike

> > On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 11:15:09PM -0500, Mike Ciul wrote:
> >
> >>  [26 lines, 194 words, 1172 characters]  Top characters: etnsiorl
> >>
> >>I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu. Even during the initial install,
> >>the system freezes after about 5 minutes of uptime. By repeated
> >>attempts, I got the thing to  install all the way, but it still freezes
> >>after about  5 minutes. I can't find any log messages close to the time
> >>of the freeze. I've tried a few kernel options (acpi=off, nolapic,
> >>noapic), I've stabbed randomly at BIOS options, but nothing seems to
> >>make any difference. Can anyone think of a reason why a system would
> >>freeze after 5 minutes of doing nothing in particular? It even does it
> >>in single-user  mode, so I don't think it's X-related.
> >

> > Is it stable if you run memtest86?  That's about the simplest "OS" you
> > could try running.
> >
> > Was the material you quoted (BIOS EDD problemy by C. Jones) or your
> > subject relevant to your question?  I had trouble seeing the link
> > based on what you wrote.

There was a movie made in 1947, commissioned by the military. It was
made by the famous director John Houston, and it was titled "Let There
Be Light." What the military asked him to do was to go into the VA
hospitals in 1947 with his cameras. He did such a good job of
capturing the kind of inner turmoil and horror that these men were
going through - the survivor guilt, the suicidal thoughts, the
flashbacks, the nightmares, the depression, the anxiety, the fear -
that the military suppressed the film until 1982.

 - Steve Bentley, former chair of Vietnam Veterans of America Post
Traumatic Stress Disorder and Substance Abuse Committee

from "Hell, Healing, and Resistance: Veterans Speak." Farmington, PA:
The Plough Publishing House, 1998