morgan on 23 Feb 2006 22:38:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BIOS EDD -- new install hangs

Mike,

When I first read your message I thought to respond but got sidetracked. Have you completely disabled power saving the bios? I've seen this sort of hang when the system is idle due to kernel not properly groking (grokking?) the power management.

-morgan

Mike Ciul wrote:
I discovered something interesting.

If I do something like this:

perl -e '@f = <>; while (1) { sort @f; }' < /var/log/syslog

...the system does not freeze. As long as I can keep the processor tied up,
it keeps going. What could it be doing during idle time that causes it
to freeze?

- Mike