Toby DiPasquale on 24 Feb 2006 00:14:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Is my 'bandwidth' math right?

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:24:09PM -0800, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> I have a customer who was entertaining the notion of
> hosting his server in house.  I talked him out of it,
> but I was curious about whether or not the bandwidth
> he could get would handle his site.  He is able to get
> a business connection with 1Mbit upstream.
>
> 1Mbit = 1024bits * 1024bits = 1,048,576bits

1Mbit == 1,000,000 bits per second

As such, 1Mbit => 125Kbytes/sec.

Network and disk are measured by powers of 10, not powers of 2 as you'd
expect.

> His typical webpage, pictures includes is about 273k
>
> 273k = 1024bytes * 273 * 8bits = 2,236,416bits
>
> 2,236,416 / 1,048,576 = 2.1 seconds.

Refer to the above math for the explanation of such.

> So it will take 2.1 seconds to transfer ONE of his web
> pages, probably 3 or 4 seconds since that math doesnt
> include the information in the tcp, ip, and network
> stacks

He could serve quite a number of clients if he rearranged his pages to
limit the number of pictures on a particular page. Techniques include
building smaller thumbnails of images, turning compression on for images
and content and caching. 273K is _FAR_ too big for a page to be (I
wouldn't wait for it). As well, Google and other search engines will dock
you for having such huge pages, making it harder to get top rankings on
those services.

> I know people have used T1's to host servers, which is
> only a little bit faster, but still in the same
> ballpark.  It doesnt seem reasonable it should take so
> long to download a single page, and if he had multiple
> users on the site simulateasly forget about it.

A T1 is 1.54Mbit per second, over 150% faster than his current connection
(assuming he's got a symmetric connection).

1.54Mbit/s => 192.5Kbytes/sec.

> Is my reasoning correct?

Lots of people think that networking and disk are measured along powers
of 2 units, like RAM. I used to think that myself, but its not true. Check
the real number of bytes on your hard disk for some confirmation.

--
Toby DiPasquale