Stephen Gran on 1 Mar 2006 10:05:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Forbidding a version of a package in debian

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 11:45:55PM -0500, Walt Mankowski said:
> It turned out there were other dependencies besides windowmaker.  I
> had to restart firefox and all of a sudden it started crashing,
> complaining about some sort of a problem with xft.  I decided to bite
> the bullet and do release libfreetype6 from hold, along with all the
> other packages that were also on hold waiting for it.  Fortunately
> everything worked fine after that, including firefox.

I'm glad - I don't know if you've been following the problems around
this, but basically it sounds like libxft deleted a symbol in a new
version without changing the soname.  This of course caused a quite a
few problems for quite a few people, but it also sounds like the new
version being prepared is a little saner, so it shouldn't recur.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | -- Storm Jameson                        |